- Sault Ste. Marie’s unemployment rate in November 2022 was 4.1% which is below national and provincial rates. (Canada 5.1%, Ontario 5.5%)
- November’s unemployment rate rose from October 2022’s rate that was suppressed (under the confidentiality threshold).
- When comparing year over year, this month is 1.1 percentage points lower than the same time last year in 2021.
- The national and provincial rates have remained similar and steady through 2022 with a slight drop during the summer months.
- Sault Ste. Marie’s participation rate in November 2022 was 55.4% (Canada 64.8%, Ontario 64.8%). Significantly lower than provincial and national rates which trend similarly over 2022.
- The participation rate dropped 1.2 percentage points from 56.6% in October 2022.
- Notably, the participation rate remains higher than the previous year’s participation rate of 52.1% in November 2021
- In November 2020 the participation rate reached a high of 67.9%, the highest over the 4 year period
- Sault Ste. Marie’s employment rate in November 2022 was 53.2% (Canada 61.5%, Ontario 61.2%). Notably, trending lower than provincial and national rates for the past 3 months.
- The employment rate dropped 1.4 percentage points from 54.6% in October 2022.
- The current employment rate is similar to the pre-pandemic rate of 55.5% in November 2019 and trending higher than in 2021 at 49.4%.
- Sault Ste. Marie’s total employment is 35,400 for November 2022 for 15 years and over.
- A total employment increase of 2,400 when compared to last year in November 2021.
- The current employment levels are slightly lower than the pre-pandemic level of 37,300 in November 2019 and are currently slightly below the 4-year average trend.
- from 7,800 (-3%) in October 2022 and was on par with pre-pandemic levels of Nov. 2019.
- Employment in the services-producing sector decreased from the previous month to 27,800 from 28,500 (-2%) in October 2022 and slightly lower than pre-pandemic levels of Nov. 2019 of 29,800 (-2,000).
- There was a total of 1,400 online job postings in Sault Ste. Marie and 1,923 in Algoma for the month of November 2022.
- Overall, the total number of job postings has been decreasing since April 2022.
- We continue to see strong demand in Retail, Accommodations and food services, healthcare and social services occupations.
You can find the whole summary in the following pdf.
November 2022 Labour Force Survey